A young carer is a child under 18 who regularly helps to look after a family member or friend who is disabled, ill, has a mental health condition or an additional problem.
Children may engage in:
- practical tasks (cooking, housework and shopping);
- physical care (lifting or helping someone to use the stairs);
- personal care (dressing, washing, helping with toilet needs);
- managing the family budget (collecting benefits and prescriptions);
- managing medication;
- looking after younger siblings;
- helping someone communicate.
Parkfield can support young carers. If you, or a family member, needs support please contact Angela Schofield or Larrissa Gordon on 0121 464 1131.
All contact will be treated in the strictest confidence.